Lula loader/unloader

Magpul followers

Tangodown Mk.46 forward grip

Yoda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gear Review

Post  Yoda on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Belated but finally got around to it. The use that the gear got in my two weeks at HDSOC was actually worse than in any of my previous deployments as you're put in extreme situations that actually hardly ever happened (in real life)or not to the same extent in an extremely compressed amount of time. So the stuff actually got beat up really hard.

Magpul PMAG: Love the PMAGS!!!!! Not a single failure due to the mags, always fed consistently, was easier to load than standard mags, don't really need magpuls for extraction as it was easy to grab even w/ thick gloves. One of the instructors ran it over w/ a suburban, dusted it off, loaded and fired it w/ no probs. No deformation on the feed lips, the major cause of jams w/ the AR.

VTAC 2-point sling: The 3-point sling is all but dead and this is the way to go. The adjust on the fly capability and the sling being clear from snagging on the AR's working parts and speed of use in transition. It's better than the single point for transition as you just let it drop w/ no worries, especially w/ gear or armor on.

Eagle universal lo-profile chest rig: I really recommend this rig for carbine/ AR classes for non-tactical or non-mil events. It's low-pro but yet carries 8x AR mags, 4x pistol mags. Most non-mil guys would be better served by the SKD variants of this design as the MBITR pockets have limited utility.

Lula loader/unloader: On standard mags and after a long day on the range this unloads really fast and doesn't damage the all important feed lips. Ditto for loading. On the PMAGS not so much utility, as the PMAGS load easier and just use another bullet to unload.

Magpul followers: Better feeding on the AR but we were beating up the mags something fierce! Still can't get around that feed lip deformation issue though.

Eagle PC w/ cummerbund: Joel's two armor carriers really got a workout on this course. My setup was 2 rows of 3 shingles up front w/ 2 pistol pouches center front. Radio pouches left and right of center and utility pouches left and right rear. Admin pouch and velcro panel in the chest area, hydration pouch in the back. The Eagle hands down was more comfortable, lighter and still had more armor protection than everybody else's gear in the course( Joel's HSGI Weesatch, BHI Plate carriers, BHI OTV, RAV clones, US GI issue OTV). The secret is the ability to distribute weight really evenly across the shoulders and waist. The addition of the really wide shoulder pads really made this super comfy.

Yoda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New Gear

Post  Yoda on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:37 pm

After not collecting any new gear the last couple of years I'm getting ready for deployment again so trying and evaling new kit.

H2O gen2 ACU pcu level 5 Parka and trousers, H2O FG fleece liner/jacket

Pros: Cheap, durable, and more water repellant than the older gen2 ECWS goretex. Almost the same cut as the gen2 parka.

Cons: The parka is a tad warmer and not as breathable as the gen2 ECWS.The fleece jacket liner has sub-par zippers and could use better pocket arrangements (but not bad considering it is a liner and was only $18 ).

Altogether the package cost $156 for parka, overtrousers and fleece jacket and liner! It is available in Multi-cam!!! To compare a level 5 PCU jacket in on of itself is $230 for mil guys!

Sotech Go-bag CT

There is no better bail out bag to supplement an assault pack! I don't wear this as a shoulder bag, but prefer it as an uber waistpack. The possibilities are endless for this bag. From aid bag, folding litter carrier, E&E bag, spare barrel bag, optics/ spotter bag, range bag, MG ammo carrier are just some of the things i have tried so far. I picked Coyote Tan as it doesn't shout .mil when i'm not using for duty, and so far it's very low pro in signature over carrying an assault pack.

Yoda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PMAGS & new gear

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum