HDSOC II Part1

Go down

HDSOC II Part1

Post  Yoda on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:33 pm

HDSOC II 08-21 Mar 09

Got sent to HDSOC course again as NCOIC Southern Nevada Group, had to cancel my PI trip but since I have no choice anyways and I'm getting paid to shoot xxxx k rounds, might as well enjoy myself.

This time around we're better prepared and this group shot the best of all the groups we've brought so far. The course was run a little different and much to my chagrin, we didn't do precision rifle, instead we did foreign weapons particularly the AK-47. We also did training w/ UTM rounds (replace the bolt on your M4 and wallah--training weapon), this new round hurts more than sim rounds or paintball at 400 fps.

New equipment tested:

TA01 ACOG w/ 7 MOA Docter sight

What can I say this combo works great! It was good to fire a lot of rounds w/ this package as now I know the different holds and weld I have to use and at what ranges should I switch to for maximum efficiency. Point of aim for a Medulla shot to the head is around the hairline and collarline for a sternum shot. At plus 50m or even at 25m the ACOG was the better choice but if speed or if the target or myself was moving the Docter came into play. In comparison to an Aimpoint or Eotech it was noticeably slower to employ especially on multiple targets but accuracy was certainly better too as I could actually call my shots at 100m if I had time for a good sight picture.

Tangodown detachable buffer tube sling mount

In combo w/ my modified Viking Tactics sling ( I added an HK type claw to one end) w/c gave me an option to go to two-point or single-point at will. Never had to unsling for any training evolution whatsoever and was able to to transition to either shoulder or to the secondary w/o any issues at all so enough said this setup works for me. PS don't clamp the mount too tight as it might impede the recoil of the buffer tube.

Hatch Operator and Mechanix gloves

Tried these both and I'd have to say they worked out pretty well for protection but still retaining a fair amount of dexterity. More dexterity w/ the Mechanix but more protection from shock as well as heat on the Hatch Operator gloves.

BHI SERPA tactical holster

Very comfortable and didn't really rub my thighs at all (common issue w/ prolonged wear of thigh rigs), ran a separate riggers belt for this and was way more comfy and versatile than running it on one belt. For durability and utility the Safariland 6004 might be better but it's really hard to beat the speed of draw from the SERPA.

Yoda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HDSOC II Part2

Post  Yoda on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Other equipment used before:

Eagle PC w/ cummerbund and Eagle Low-pro chest rig

Again stellar performance by both rigs. The setup for the PC was 3x shingles on each side and front, 2x radio pouches, 4x pistol mag pouches front, admin pouch, flashlight/pistol mag pouch around the chest area, compass pouch, 2x utility pouches, dump pouch left side and bladder carrier and knife in small of the back. The Low-Pro chest rig I modded w/ some 100mph tape to carry more mags as using pmags were a little tight when doubling in a pouch.

Magpul PMAGS

One of the instructors at last years course first thought I was full of it when I told him to run my fully loaded mag over w/ the Humvee. This year he told me that they pretty much switched to PMags whenever they could get their hands on one and what other gear would I recommend?

Pistol and rifle mag loaders

HKS for the pistol and LULA for the rifle. Such a lifesaver! Loading up a thousand rounds a day, day in day out really blows when using your bare hands.

Peltor Tac6

Great for hearing range commands and tactical applications like the O course and shoot house, where normal earplugs would have left you at a disadvantage.

Sotech Go-Bag

Made a handy range bag for carrying all the tools, cleaning kits, spare batteries, spare parts, extra optics and reference materials for the range.

Black Eyes and Green Rifles and M4 handbook

Really came in handy as a prep and reference material for getting my guys ready for the range. The references came in handy when it came time to zero at various ranges.

We brought mostly younger, more junior soldiers instead of senior NCO's and trainers so they did generally better for speed and scores (reflexive fire is more about speed and physical fitness really helps). At the last course I went to the winning time was 9:32 this time around it was 7:32 (19 yr old kid), he missed a couple but made blistering time. I almost killed myself doing about 8:16 but I hate to miss.

All in all another great course wrapped up and was kinda sad it was over.

Yoda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum